Search This Blog

Friday 14 September 2012

10 MUST have free android apps on your smartphone.


After getting mugged last December, and after almost six months of walking around with a non-internet enabled kabambe, I finally garnered enough courage to rejoin to the world of smartphones, hoping that this time I’ll get to hold on to my smartphone for a little bit longer than the last. Anyway, it’s now been two and a half months and my new wife... Madame Galaxy is still by my side and to my surprise; our love has reached a point where I can’t see myself surviving without her!! And I couldn’t help asking myself... WHY? The answer is simple… Apps!! Thanks to the hundreds of thousands of applications available for the android platform, smartphones now allow me to do practically anything and everything on my phone!! I’m sure even my laptop misses me now… hehe. Anyway, after sitting down and scrutinizing my wife, I have decided to put up a list of ten free android apps that I believe one CANNOT live without.


1. Data ON-OFF
Anybody using a smart phone will have realized one thing during the first few days of use, smart phones have the dumbest batteries, especially if you’re addicted to tweeting and surfing like I am. I can leave the house with a full battery in the morning and will have a dead phone by 2pm. Luckily I bumped into the Data ON-OFF app. It allows you to place a cool neon widget on your home screen allowing you to conveniently enable or disable mobile data settings. Using the app, the phone only connects to the internet when you want it to,and it will thus not waste half your battery life searching for network while it is in your pocket and believe you me, you gain a least 5 hours or more to your battery life.
Moreover, if you don’t have unlimited WiFi access, the Data ON-OFF App also helps you save MB’s by preventing your phone from constantly connecting to the internet and syncing with your online accounts!! #TrueStory


2. Opera Mini


 For those of us who use data bundles to surf, the stock Android HD web browser (and any other HD browser e.g Opera Mobile) has never been and will never be data friendly. 50MB’s of data can be cleared easily within an hour of normal use!! That’s where Opera Mini comes in, it may not be able to compare to HD browsers like Dolphin HD and Opera mobile in terms of web page quality. But it is Smooth, Fast (depending on the connection) and most importantly, it uses MUCH less Internet Data. This means that the cost of surfing using Opera Mini due to the efficient use of internet data is reduced by up to 90%!! That there, to be honest, is the only reason I use the App. It saves my Credit!! #NuffSaid



 3. WhatsApp

Now this is an app I can’t do without, WhatsApp messenger is basically the android equivalent of the blackberry’s BBM. It allows android users to send (and receive) messages, pictures, audio notes and video files with anybody that is on their phone book as long as they both have the App installed on their phone. I personally love WhatsApp because international texts and call rates can be very expensive... so WhatsApp allows me to keep in touch with all my family and friends outside Kenya at absolutely NO cost!! Al I need is an internet connection!! Need I say more?


4. Evernote
Some people have disconnected thoughts, ideas and random light bulb moments that are forgotten as fast as they are thought. Guess what? I unfortunately happen to be one of those people. I could be sitting in a Bar and the awesomest  idea pops into my head, unless I write it down, I WILL forget it. Enter Evernote..tatadadaaaa!!! This app literally turns your Android device into an extension of your brain( believe that!!). It helps one stay organized, improves productivity, save photos, make audio notes and best of all, it allows you to access these files from any device anywhere!!






5. Any.DO
The Any.Do app is in simple terms, a very very cool and fun to use task manager. This app will help you organize and remember the millions of things you have to do daily by allowing you to drag and drop to-do’s to your daily agendas, swiping and shaking away completed tasks!!
This is one of my favorite apps because I can now afford to forget stuff I have to do knowing my phone will remember everything for me.

6. Officesuite veiwer6 
Wonderful for viewing documents. I can download word documents, spreadsheets, PDF’s and PowerPoint presentations from my emails and read them on the go (or in class). I don’t think I have to explain how important this app is, especially if you move around a lot and need to stay in constant communication with the office. Unfortunately, the free version may allow you to view the documents but does not allow editing of documents.  



7. Foursquare
Foursquare allows you to save and share all your experiences and then share everywhere you go and everything you do with your friends. It also lets you check in to locations like clubs, restaurants, parks and basically anyplace you can think of and leave tips for your friends and anybody who might want to visit that place. In short, the foursquare app  helps you and your friends make the most of where you are, and is also fun to use:).

 



8. Angry Birds
If you don’t already know why you need this..then you don’t deserve to. No explanation needed.




9. Camcard Lite
CamCard is a professional business card reader and business card scanner. Simply take a picture of a business card, CamCard recognizes the business card and saves contact information in Card Holder or your Address Book. Then feel at ease to manage cards with CamCard - business card reader and business card scanner. More space for money in your wallet .


 10. Flashlight
This flashlight turns your LED flash and/ or screen into a torch. This is usually VERY useful when you find yourself in the dark (Thanks to KPLC, this are situations that unfortunately cannot be avoided in our beautiful country). It’s a super useful app.





Twitter
 Again, if you don’t know why..I will pray for you.


1 comment:

  1. I give praise to Mr Benjamin enough for his help in securing a loan to buy our new home for our family. Benjamin was a wealth of information and he helped educate me and my family as to why a home loan was the best option for our particular situation. After conferring with Benjamin and our financial advisor everyone agreed that a home loan was the perfect solution.You can contact Mr Benjamin if you also looking for any kind of loan on Email/Whatsappemail: 247officedept@gmail.com          Whatsapp: +1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete